Skip to main content

Traffic Unit

The mission of the Traffic Unit is to enhance public safety through the fair, impartial, and reasonable enforcement of traffic laws.  The primary goal is to promote the safe flow of vehicular traffic and reduce the number and severity of collisions.  Such a reduction decreases the number of personal injuries and the amount of property damage caused by motor vehicle crashes.  The Traffic Unit also strives to address quality of life issues in the city such as abandoned cars, parking complaints, and persistent traffic congestion.  Use of Radar and Lidar speed detection devices and immediate access to the Registry of Motor Vehicles database allow members of the unit to make full use of their time and training.

The Traffic Unit also performs the following functions:

  • Follow-up investigation of Hit and Run crashes
  • Escort duties for parades and funerals
  • Targeted enforcement for specific problems
  • Seizure of Revoked registration plates



Q:  What if I get a citation?

A:  If the officer has cause to issue a citation, he/she has the option to issue a written warning, a civil motor vehicle infraction, or a criminal application.  In some cases, such as Operating Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol, an arrest may be made.  If the citation is a warning, no action on your part is required, however three or more warnings within one year may cause the RMV to suspend your license.  If the citation is a civil infraction, there will be a fine indicated on the citation.  You may either pay the fine or contest it (within twenty days).  You can pay the fine by mail, by telephone, or online at  If you wish to contest the citation, the process is detailed on the back of the citation.  If the citation is for a criminal complaint, you have only four days to request a hearing.  In any case, you will have to appear in court to answer to the charges.

Q:  What if I get a parking ticket?

A:  If you receive a parking ticket in Malden, you may pay the fine or request a hearing.  Click here for more information.

Q:  What if I am stopped by a police officer?

A:  If a police officer performs a traffic stop of your vehicle, keep in mind that officers are frequently assaulted or killed during traffic stops and will assume a defensive posture until they feel that there is no threat.  Stay in your vehicle unless requested to exit.  Turn on the interior light if stopped at night.  Provide your license and registration when asked to do so, this is required under Massachusetts law.

Q:  What do I do if I am involved in an accident?

A:  If there are any injuries, call 9-1-1 for assistance.  Unless there is an immediate threat of further injury (such as a vehicle fire) do not remove anyone from their vehicles, you could make an injury worse.  Stay clear of the roadway.  Have your license and registration ready.  If there is an injury or if the damage to any one vehicle or property exceeds $1,000, or if the crash was a hit & run, the police will file a crash data report.  You will have to file an operator's crash report within 5 days of the crash.  You should not file a report if the crash occurred on a private road, driveway, private parking lot or other private way.  Send completed crash reports to the police department where the crash occurred, the RMV, and your insurance company.

Q:  How will I know if a snow emergency is declared and what should I do?

A:  When it is determined that parked vehicles may impede the plowing or removing of snow or ice and thereby impair the free flow of traffic, a SNOW EMERGENCY will be declared. During a declared snow emergency, there shall be no parking on either side of posted streets.  Click here for a list of affected streets and for further information on parking.

Related Links